STEM on Wheels

STEM on Wheels

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Things We Did/Learned Today

Today and yesterday were busy days!

Yesterday we had a bike safety talk from John Chester of the Cincinnati Cycle Club. He talked with the kids and then helped us set up and run our maneuverability test to test the students' skills. Thanks so much to John for coming out for the second year in a row!
John Chester of the Cincinnati Cycle Club talking to the kids about safety

John teaches the right way to wear a helmet

Students practicing maneuverability in the parking lot on Tuesday
Here's what happened today:

8:15 - Students worked all morning on figuring out where they wanted to go and starting their blog posts as they planned their trips. Posts will be put online after we take them so others can see what we did that day.

10:00 - Brian Whitten from K&G Bike Center came and spoke to the kids about bike maintenance and how to change tires (among other lessons). Brian fixed probably 7 or 8 different bikes while he was visiting. Thanks so much Brian!
Brian Whitten of K&G Bike Center
Ray learns how to change a tire tube
10:15 - We rode Trail 9 up to Linden Ave, but had to turn back around due to construction on 35, so we circled back and rode up County Line and back to the school and had lunch.

1:00 - We left again and this time went up Spaulding Road to get onto Creekside Trail, which we took all the way to Airway Road for an 11+ mile round trip. All in all we probably rode around 15-17 miles today!
Picture from the bridge on Creekside Trail heading towards Linden


Below, please post an insightful comment about something you learned relating to biking, bike safety, bike maintenance, or something relevant to the course. Please put your name on your comment!

28 comments:

  1. Today i learned how to change a tire. -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today i learned how to change a tire. - Tyler Cox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I learned why cushioning for bike seats and pants were invented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. today I learned to replace the tube in my back tire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I learned how to change the gears on my bicycle, correctly -Teagan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan Lapchynski
    Did: Biked 15 miles total, 6 in the morning, 9 in the afternoon.
    Learned: Having a 10 speed bike is not very convenient for trying to go fast into the wind and uphill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned how to change tubes on a tire and how gears work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned how to change a flat tire. Brian Bollinger

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned how important gears are and how much they can really affect your riding. -Joel

    ReplyDelete
  10. today i learned to be sure to stop and look both ways at every intersection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned what hemlock looks like, so if I see any strange plants that I feel the need to eat, hopefully they won't be poisonous. I also learned that it's a bad idea to change gears in the middle of a busy road.
    Maddie Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today I learned how minut differences in the slope can be easily recognized by the difference in pedaling forward and back

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today I learned how minut differences in the slope can be easily recognized by the difference in pedaling forward and back

    ReplyDelete
  14. RAY SNYDER---- TODAY I LEARNED THE IMPORTANCE OF STAYING COOL, I HAD A HEADBAND SOAKED IN WATER, AND BY THE END OF THE DAY MY HEAD WAS DRY AND THE HEADBAND WAS AS WELL. by the end of the day i had a major headache.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have learned that, for me, biking on the road seems to tire me out more than biking on the actual bike paths - Rhyse Mobley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Today, (well, Yesterday) I learned how to do proper maintenance on my bike, and also how easily a water bottle can come out of a bike and become a speed bump your bike may hit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Today I learned how to change the back tire and the importance of gear shifting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yesterday I learned that if you do not put a new tube into your tire properly and it is pinched, then it can pop right away when you try to pump it up. And that would be a problemo. -Eric II

    ReplyDelete
  19. Today I learned that I should not eat 5 pieces of garlic bread before going on a 10 mile bike and I also learned how to change a tire and fix brakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garlic bread falls in to the "I told you so category!" Mrs. Curran :)

      Delete
  20. Today I learned how to change a tire and how to fix a chain that has fallen off. I also concluded that drinking water was a very important thing to do when biking

    ReplyDelete
  21. Today I learned that from STEM to wright patt by bike isn't very far, and that having water while biking is very important. Signaling is important too. From Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Today, I learned that I have the absolute worst luck when it comes to bikes! -Ray Hampton

    ReplyDelete
  23. Today I learned how to remove a tire, pump a tube and replace the old one. I am also learning a lot about the bike trails.

    -Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Today I learned how harmful snake bites are to the rim, as well as the inner tube. I also learned how to change a tire as well as an inner tube

    - Jon

    ReplyDelete
  26. Today i learned alot about the bike trails leading up to airway, I never knew they went back that far; and I spend most of my weekends on those trails getting from place to place. I also learned how to change a bike tire. -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  27. I learned how to change the tire, how to change gears on my bike and also how important they are. Joshua Rugwiza

    ReplyDelete